You Arent Experiencing Neurological Symptoms Or Nausea
With a migraine, you will likely experience neurological symptoms and nausea. If you dont have those symptoms, you could have a stress headache instead. You wont have a change in vision, hearing, or sense of smell.
Migraines also cause nausea and vomiting, often as a result of neurological changes. If you dont have nausea, you might have a tension headache rather than a different type.
Articles On Migraine & Headache Prevention
Everyone experiences stress. Our bodies are designed to feel stress and react to it. It keeps us alert and ready to avoid danger. But, when stress persists, the body begins to break down and illnesses, like headaches and migraines, can occur. The key to coping with stress is identifying stressors in your life, learning ways to reduce stress, and managing stress.
The Potential Impact Of Contributory Negligence
Regardless of what specific losses an accident results in, the defendant in an ensuing lawsuit or settlement demand may not be the only party responsible. In many cases, civil defendants, defense lawyers, and insurance companies try to deflect liability towards the person seeking compensation. Unfortunately, this can be a big problem in Virginia if a court agrees with that argument.
Virginia is one of five US states and territories that still follows a pure contributory negligence system, under which any percentage of fault whatsoever on a plaintiffs part completely bars them from civil recovery. Because of this, retaining a Virginia injury attorney can be important not only in proving someone elses liability, but also disproving allegations that a plaintiff is at all to blame for their own damages.
Read Also: How Can I Measure My Stress Level
Damages You Could Recover In A Personal Injury Claim
In a personal injury claim, damages refers to the types of losses that you can be compensated for after an accident.
- Economic: These damages include losses that can easily be calculated. Medical expenses, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, home renovations, the cost of long-term nursing care, and prescription medication costs are all examples of economic damages.
- Noneconomic: Not all losses after an accident have a dollar figure automatically attached to them. Noneconomic damages may include money for pain and suffering, lost enjoyment of life, mental anguish, loss of household services, and more.
In rare circumstances, the law allows Maryland accident victims to be awarded punitive damages. Punitive damages are only awarded in cases where the conduct of the party was especially reckless. They are meant to punish the at-fault party and deter similar conduct in the future.
Being represented by a Frederick personal injury attorney is especially important because Maryland is one of a handful of states that uses a rule called contributory negligence to determine fault for an accident. According to the law, you cannot recover compensation even if you are just one percent to blame for the accident that injured you.
The Half Pigeon Pose With Bolster
This is a restorative yoga pose with props. It is similar to the child pose in the sense that you will be lying face down.
Here is how to do it:
- Get on the floor and place a yoga prop in front of you.
- One that is about 6 inches in height.
- Bend your right knee such that the calf is facing you.
- Now stretch your left leg backward.
- Now, lean all the way down and rest your forehead on your folded arms.
- Try to rest your entire body as you breathe slowly.
Recommended Reading: How Does Stress Affect Your Period
How To Relieve A Tension Headache
Because tension headaches have various causes, its a good idea to keep a journal and log any instances to try and ID your triggers. If you can determine what sets off the pain , then you can do your best to avoid that particular trigger. That said, the following tips can all help you find eventual relief:
1. Pop some OTC pain medications.
This is a popular approach for quick relief. Aspirin, ibuprofen, or acetaminophen can all help reduce tension headache pain, says Medhat Mikhael, M.D., pain management specialist at MemorialCare Orange Coast Medical Center in Fountain Valley, Calif.
Always follow dosage instructions, and never take pain medications for more than three days per week regularly, as this can actually cause rebound headacheswhich may feel even worse.
2. Give yourself a massage.
Gently targeting the muscles in your scalp, temples, or bottom of your neck can help relieve the tension that spurred your headache, Dr. Mikhael says.
You can also target your masseter musclethe thick muscle that connects your jawbone and cheekboneif you tend to clench, grind, or generally hold tension in your face. When your jaw becomes too tight, it can cause other nearby muscles in your head and neck to do the same. When the force is too great you can get tension headaches,David Reavy, a Chicago-based physical therapist, previously told Prevention.
Try this 10-second masseter massage from Reavy a few times a day:
3. Add in some peppermint oil, while youre at it.
How To Cope When One Of Your Migraine Triggers Is Stress
To say that dealing with the chronic pain of migraine is a challenge is an understatement. Those challenges are magnified when stress is one of your migraine triggers. Stress can cause migraine, chronic pain creates more stressand so the cycle continues. And, to add insult to injury, if your body is accustomed to constant stress, a weekend off can result in a let down migraine when your stress abruptly lowers. Not exactly a win-win for those living with migraine.
The migraine brain is vulnerable to change such as sleep and stress, and is, therefore, best kept stable, says Peter Goadsby, M.D., Ph.D., who specializes in the treatment of headache disorders at UC San Francisco Medical Center.
In addition to finding a doctor, keeping a headache diary, and finding the proper medication, one of the most effective things you can do to control migraine is to reduce your stress, which sounds easy, right? Wrong. So, in our busy lives, how can we better manage the stress associated with migraine? Here are a few tips on how to do this.
Read Also: Who To Talk To About Stress
Get Emergency Care For Severe Extreme Headaches
Tension headaches can be uncomfortable and annoying, but they usually arent severe. If youre experiencing a severe headache , you should seek medical care as soon as possible.
Its especially important to contact a medical professional if you develop a severe headache that starts suddenly, if you vomit during a headache, if you have a high fever, or if you suddenly have difficulties speaking, moving, balancing or seeing clearly.
Living With Headaches: Self
Making changes in your daily routine can help in the management of headaches. Some measures that can be taken include the following:
- Get adequate rest and sleep for 67 hours to avoid sleep deprivation.
- Take a bath with warm water.
- Avoid things that trigger your headache. These may include some drinks, such as red wine, or foods, such as dried fruits with sulfates or certain cheeses.
- Do not stay hungry. Avoid fasting and eat at regular intervals.
- Sleep comfortably. Change your bedding or sleeping position if needed.
- Maintain good posture at all times.
- Do not strain your eyes. Get an eye checkup and wear prescription glasses if required.
- Practice meditation to help reduce the incidence of headaches.
- Exercise regularly. This helps in stress reduction and releases endorphins . Exercising also helps you obtain good-quality sleep.
- Use a mouth guard if you grind your teeth.
- Avoid alcohol consumption.
- Practice biofeedback techniques, such as abdominal breathing.
- Use heat therapy to manage tension headaches. It may also be used for migraine attacks. However, heat may be a headache-trigger for some.
- Practice yoga as it helps in alleviating the symptoms of migraine. A study compared patients with migraine using conventional care versus conventional care plus yoga 5 days a week for 6 weeks. The group that used conventional migraine treatments plus yoga experienced fewer migraine headaches and less severe headaches when they did occur.
Recommended Reading: Can Stress Cause Erectile Problems
Consume Or Inhale Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is yet another anecdotal remedy for headaches, especially those triggered by poorly regulated blood sugar or sinus problems. This mildly acidic liquid has been credited with a lot of therapeutic potential but there isnt any solid scientific evidence to substantiate these claims.
Nevertheless, a lot of general users have reported positive results after using this remedy with little to no side effects, if used correctly.
How to use:
- Mix 2 teaspoons of ACV in a glass of water, and add some honey and lemon juice to it for better taste. Drink this tonic thrice a day for headache relief.
- Take equal amounts of water and ACV in a pot and bring this mixture to a boil. Then, breathe in the therapeutic vapors to relieve sinus headaches.
Note: ACV can erode the tooth enamel, which is why its important to drink this tonic through a straw and rinse your mouth thereafter.
The Prevention Of Tension Headaches
Tension headaches can take a heavy toll on your life. In addition to causing pain, they can also cause you to miss days of work, or impair your ability to function at work. Or they may cause you to be irritable with friends and family. If any of these things are happening to you, then you want to be sure to take one or more of the many available steps you can take to prevent tension headaches.
- Exercise – this will relieve stress.
- Learn to Detect When You Are Pushing Yourself – much of the stress and tension that we experience in life comes from pushing ourselves too hard. Learn do detect when you are pushing yourself, and then learn to gently stop yourself pushing yourself. And dont judge yourself when you find yourself pushing yourself. Just let it go.
- Biofeedback Training – biofeedback training will teach you how to stop making the muscular responses to stress that cause your headaches.
- Psychotherapy – go into therapy to find out why you are feeling stressed and/or anxious. Once you find out why you are feeling stressed, you can take measures to reduce your stress.
- Meditation – meditation will help you see why you are feeling stressed and learn to let it all go.
- Mindfulness Training – mindfulness training will do the same.
- Create a Life That is an Expression of Your True Self and Your Deepest Values – this is the best way to stop stress and anxiety. Be yourself. Believe in and love what you do.
Was this article helpful?
You May Like: Can Stress Cause Cluster Headaches
Soothe Pain With A Cold Compress
Using a cold compress may help reduce your headache symptoms.
Applying cold or frozen compresses to the neck or head area decreases inflammation, slows nerve conduction and constricts blood vessels, all of which help reduce headache pain .
In one study in 28 women, applying a cold gel pack to the head significantly reduced migraine pain .
To make a cold compress, fill a waterproof bag with ice and wrap it in a soft towel. Apply the compress to the back of the neck, head or temples for headache relief.
Coenzyme Q10 is a substance produced naturally by the body that helps turn food into energy and functions as a powerful antioxidant .
Studies have shown that taking CoQ10 supplements may be an effective and natural way to treat headaches.
For example, one study in 80 people demonstrated that taking 100 mg of CoQ10 supplements per day reduced migraine frequency, severity and length .
Another study including 42 people who experienced frequent migraines found that three 100-mg doses of CoQ10 throughout the day helped decrease migraine frequency and migraine-related symptoms like nausea (
What Causes A Tension Headache
The exact mechanism that causes a tension headache is not known. Several factors, such as genetics and environment, are thought to be involved. Muscle contractions in the head and neck are considered a major factor in the development of a tension headache. Some people get tension headaches in response to stressful events or hectic days.
Recommended Reading: Does Stress Increase Blood Sugar
Of : Know The Type Of Headache Youre Experiencing
Q What Is A Tension Headache
A. People describe tension headaches as an aching pain that affects both sides of the head. They can last 30 minutes or linger for a few days. Typically, pain is the main symptom. Common migraine symptoms such as nausea, vomiting or light sensitivity arent usually factors for a tension headache.
The biggest trigger for tension headaches, and probably the reason they are so common, is stress, says Dr. Estemalik. In most cases, lifestyle tweaks that reduce stress are enough to keep tension headaches at bay.
Don’t Miss: Can Stress Make Eczema Worse
Quick Stress Relief At Work
Meetings. During stressful sessions, stay connected to your breath. Massage the tips of your fingers. Wiggle your toes. Sip coffee.
On the phone. Inhale something energizing, like lemon, ginger, peppermint. While talking, stand up or pace back and forth to burn off excess energy, or take calls outside when possible.
On the computer. Work standing up. Do knee-bends in 10-minute intervals. Suck on a peppermint. Sip tea.
Lunch breaks. Take a walk around the block or in the parking lot. Listen to soothing music while eating. Chat with a colleague.
Your workspace. Place family photos on your desk or mementos that remind you of your life outside the office.
Recommended Reading: What To Eat To Reduce Stress
Q: How Can I Get Relief From Tension Headaches
A: A tried-and-true home remedy for both chronic andepisodic tension headaches is using a hot or cold compress to alleviate thediscomfort. Place it on the forehead or over the neck and shoulders.
People can easily manage episodic headaches with over-the-counter pain relievers like a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug and acetaminophen.We recommend people limit the use of OTC pain relievers to two times per weekat most. Using them too often could result in medication-overuse headaches,plus too much could damage the kidneys or liver.
People with chronic headaches may need daily preventionmedicines. But we have a lot of options to help people avoid tension headachesaltogether.
Relax With Meditation Or Yoga
Treating The Cause: Diary
It may help to keep a diary if you have frequent headaches. Note when, where, and how bad each headache is, and how long each headache lasts. Also note anything that may have caused it. A pattern may emerge and you may find a trigger to avoid. For example, hunger, eye strain, bad posture, stress, anger, etc.
Some doctors suggest reviewing your diet. The list of foods which can be triggers in some people includes caffeinated drinks, chocolate, cheese and alcohol. Other doctors suggest focusing on a healthy balanced diet, with a good mixture of slow-release energy foods and a low intake of refined sugars.
Don’t Miss: How To Come Out Of Depression And Stress
How To Relieve Stress & Tension Headaches Tips To Reduce Stress & Anxiety
When you’re dealing with difficult situations in your life, stress and anxiety can trigger or make headaches worse.i Whether you’re overdue for a vacation, dealing with job layoffs or busy navigating relationships with friends and family, stress can arise from a number of factors. Dont worry, we’re here to help with your headache pain. Learn how to help relieve stress and tension headaches with these simple tips.
Why Choose Our Maryland Personal Injury Lawyers
If you have suffered an injury in a car, truck, motorcycle or other transportation accident, you deserve justice and compensation to ensure both care and security in the future. If you are facing the abuse or wrongful death of a loved one in a nursing home, you need an attorney who is willing to take the time to uncover what happened, bring the abusers to trial, if necessary, and help ensure corrections are made to the system so as to avoid future injuries to others in their care setting. In every legal situation, clients are looking for an advocate who understands all the possible consequences and explores every option to obtain the best outcome available.
So, how do you know you are choosing the right legal team for you? The Poole Law Group offers its Western Maryland clients big-firm results with small-firm service. When you retain the services of our skilled attorneys, you will find:
Dont Miss: How To Get Stress Out Of Your Body
Read Also: Can Stress Cause You To Miss Your Period