Tip : Find Sensory Inspiration
Having trouble identifying sensory techniques that work for you? Look for inspiration around you, from your sights as you go about your day to memories from your past.
Memories. Think back to what you did as a child to calm down. If you had a blanket or stuffed toy, you might benefit from tactile stimulation. Try tying a textured scarf around your neck before an appointment or keeping a piece of soft suede in your pocket.
Watch others. Observing how others deal with stress can give you valuable insight. Baseball players often pop gum before going up to bat. Singers often chat up the crowd before performing. Ask people you know how they stay focused under pressure.
Parents. Think back to what your parents did to blow off steam. Did your mother feel more relaxed after a long walk? Did your father work in the yard after a hard day?
The power of imagination. Once drawing upon your sensory toolbox becomes habit, try simply imagining vivid sensations when stress strikes. The memory of your babys face will have the same calming or energizing effects on your brain as seeing her photo. When you can recall a strong sensation, youll never be without a quick stress relief tool.
Take a break from technology
Taking a short hiatus from the television, computer, and cell phone will give you insight on what your senses respond to best.
When To See A Doctor For Anxiety
If experiencing anxiety and stress, it is always best to seek out a specialist, such as a psychologist.
Sometimes, a doctor or psychologist may recommend talking therapy or CBT to manage anxiety and stress. They may also prescribe medications, such as serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors , selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors , or benzodiazepines.
People should follow the doctorâs instructions when using these drugs, as they can have severe and possibly life threatening adverse effects.
Anxiety As A Warning Sign
Anxiety may be just the warning sign you need to bring awareness to your current situation and make some necessary changes in your life.;Recurrent worry and nervousness can be an indication that some areas of your life are off track and need adjusting.
For example, you may find that you have a relationship that is no longer working, perhaps your job is causing a great deal of stress, or maybe financial issues have you losing sleep and feeling anxious.
Your symptoms can be difficult to manage, but exploring and coping with your anxiety can be a real opportunity for self-growth.
The next time anxiety strikes, consider what message it has for you and the possible adjustments you may need to make in your life.
Don’t Miss: What Can I Give My Cat For Stress
Should Antioxidants Be Included In Your Anti
Anxiety is thought to be correlated with a;lowered total antioxidant state. It stands to reason, therefore, that enhancing your diet with foods rich in antioxidants may help ease the symptoms of anxiety disorders. A 2010 study reviewed the;antioxidant content of 3,100 foods, spices, herbs, beverages, and supplements. Foods designated as high in antioxidants by the USDA include:
- Beans: Dried small red, Pinto, black, red kidney
- Fruits: Apples , prunes, sweet cherries, plums, black plums
- Berries: Blackberries, strawberries, cranberries, raspberries, blueberries
- Nuts: Walnuts, pecans
- Vegetables: Artichokes, kale, spinach, beets, broccoli
- Spices with both antioxidant and anti-anxiety properties include;turmeric; and;ginger.
Looking For Foods That Help With Anxiety Research Shows That Some Foods Act As Natural Remedies For Anxiety While Others Can Send You Into Overdrive Try These 8 Foods That Reduce Anxiety Today
Are you struggling to keep anxiety at bay even though you meet regularly with a therapist, take your medication as prescribed, and have a good support system? The truth is, treatment for anxiety shouldnt stop when you leave your therapists office, screw the lid back on the pill bottle, or step away from your family and friendseffective anxiety management involves one other significant factor: your diet. If you havent tried tweaking what you eat then you may be missing an important opportunity to beat back your anxiety.
Doctors and dietitians are starting to understand more about how the nutritional properties of the foods we eat affect the brain. There is a clear and important connection between the brain and the gut, explains Jodi Godfrey, MS, RD, a health and nutrition educator. Researchers now refer to the gut as the second brain. When essential nutrients are not sufficiently available, there is a direct effect on the production of neurotransmitters and brain chemistry that can increase or lessen anxiety-related behaviors.
The modifications you can make to your diet are as simple as swapping out foods could be spiking your anxiety for foods that may lessen the severity of your symptoms. Avoid binge-eating your go-to comfort foods and enjoy nutritious superfoods with mood-boosting properties. Youll feel better for it.
Also Check: Does Stress Cause Weight Gain Or Loss
How Can You Help Yourself
Stress is a natural reaction to many situations in life, such as work, family, relationships and money problems.
We mentioned earlier on that a moderate amount of stress can help us perform better in challenging situations,34 but too much or prolonged stress can lead to physical problems. This can include lower immunity levels,35 digestive and intestinal difficulties, e.g. irritable bowel syndrome ,36;or mental health problems such as depression.37 It is therefore important that we manage our stress and keep it at a healthy level to prevent long-term damage to our bodies and minds.
Stocking Stuffers For Her Essential Oils
Essential oils can help with everything from stress relief to deep relaxation. You can purchase a pure oil to place in a stocking or you can buy a product containing a helpful essential oil.
A great idea is this Breathe Essential Oil Blends Setwith three aromatherapy oil rollers for relaxing, focus and happiness.;
Read Also: How Can I Be Less Stressed
Stocking Fillers For Good Mental Health
Meditation is a way of relaxing the mind and helping to switch off stress which is why it is so popular. There are hundreds of possible presents that you could choose to help with meditation but we particularly love the Fl Stress Relief Mindful Breathing Necklace.
This clever device is a way of slowing down breathing to help calm down the body and mind which of course helps to reduce anxiety. This is a great size for any Christmas Stocking but it is one of the pricier gifts on our list.
Vitamin B Complex Supplements
Eating a well-rounded diet of whole, unprocessed foods is a good start towards getting the B vitamins you need from your diet.
However, if you dont eat meat or dont get at least the recommended 9 servings a day of fruits and vegetables, you might be low in one or more of the B vitamins.
One of the most common questions about B vitamin supplementation is whether you should take individual B vitamins or a B complex supplement.
Eventually it can cause permanent nerve and brain damage.;
The Recommended Dietary Allowance of vitamin B12 for adults is 2.4 micrograms .;
When you read a B12 supplement label, youll find that it usually contains much more than this.
Because only about 2% of the B12 in supplements is actually absorbed, the excess assures that youre getting close to the RDA.
Don’t Miss: How To Fight Stress And Anxiety Naturally
Achieving Better Mental Health Through Diet
Be sure to talk to your doctor if your anxiety symptoms are severe or last more than two weeks. But even if your doctor recommends medication or therapy for anxiety, it is still worth asking whether you might also have some success by adjusting your diet. While nutritional psychiatry is not a substitute for other treatments, the relationship between food, mood, and anxiety is garnering more and more attention. There is a growing body of evidence, and more research is needed to fully understand the role of nutritional psychiatry, or as I prefer to call it, Psycho-Nutrition.
Tips To Manage Anxiety And Stress
Try these when you’re feeling anxious or stressed:
Fitness Tips: Stay Healthy, Manage Stress
For the biggest benefits of exercise, try to include at least 2½ hours of moderate-intensity physical activity each week, 1¼ hours of a vigorous-intensity activity , or a combination of the two.
- 5 X 30: Jog, walk, bike, or dance three to five times a week for 30 minutes.
- Set small daily goals and aim for daily consistency rather than perfect workouts. It’s better to walk every day for 15-20 minutes than to wait until the weekend for a three-hour fitness marathon. Lots of scientific data suggests that frequency is most important.
- Find forms of exercise that are fun or enjoyable. Extroverted people often like classes and group activities. People who are more introverted often prefer solo pursuits.
- Distract yourself with an iPod or other portable media player to download audiobooks, podcasts, or music. Many people find its more fun to exercise while listening to something they enjoy.
- Recruit an exercise buddy. It’s often easier to stick to your exercise routine when you have to stay committed to a friend, partner, or colleague.
- Be patient when you start a new exercise program. Most sedentary people require about four to eight weeks to feel coordinated and sufficiently in shape so that exercise feels easier.
If you are the parent of a college-aged child with an anxiety disorder, here are some tips to help with managing his or her anxiety.
Don’t Miss: How To Manage Stress Levels
Healthy Ways To Cope With Stress
Feeling emotional and nervous or having trouble sleeping and eating can all be normal reactions to stress. Here are some healthy ways you can deal with stress:
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories, including those on social media. Its good to be informed but hearing about the traumatic event constantly can be upsetting. Consider limiting news to just a couple of times a day and disconnecting from phone, tv, and computer screens for a while.
- Take care of yourself. Eat healthy, exercise, get plenty of sleep, and give yourself a break if you feel stressed out.
- Take care of your body.
- Take deep breaths, stretch, or;meditateexternal icon.
- Continue with routine preventive measures as recommended by your healthcare provider.
- Get vaccinated with a COVID-19 vaccine when available.
How To Stop Shaking
Once youve determined that youre having a panic or anxiety attack, fighting against your symptoms might make them last longer.
The most effective strategy to stop trembling from panic or anxiety is to guide your body back to a relaxed state. Certain techniques can help you calm down:
- Progressive muscle relaxation. This technique focuses on contracting and then releasing different muscle groups. It can be done in tandem with deep breathing. The goal in practicing this technique is to get your body to relax. This can stop you from trembling.
- Yoga poses. The childs pose and sun salutations can help you regulate your breathing and bring calm back to your body. Regular yoga practice has been shown to reduce anxiety symptoms.
- Mindfulness exercises. Exercises that incorporate meditation can also help stop you from shaking. Mindfulness meditations to guide you through 5 to 10 minutes of awareness and relaxation. These can be found on apps, such as Headspace, and online.
Practicing these techniques when youre not in a state of panic or anxiety will make them more effective when you need to use them.
Remember that herbal remedies arent necessarily better for your body than traditional medication. Herbals have properties that cause side effects and interactions just like medication does.
Read Also: Can Stress Cause Heart Problems
Additional Potted Flowers And Houseplants For Anxiety
The good news doesnt end there. Here are some common potted flowers and houseplants for anxiety relief.
Lavender is The Most Calming Scent for Anxiety and Sleep
I simply cant start this list of house plants for anxiety without first mentioning the best of them all lavender. Youll find a ton of content here on Anxiety Gone about lavender because it is one of the best natural anxiety treatments out there. After all, a quick search online and youll see that everyone from doctors to therapist to anxiety bloggers noting lavender to be one of the best anxiety fighters. But why, you ask?
Lavenders scent has proven to lower heart rate , decrease stress levels, and lowers blood pressure and thats only to name a few. Its most commonly found in essential oils for anxiety and room sprays. However, the flowers serve the same anti-anxiety benefits with the addition of adding some beauty into your space. So, grow a lavender plant in your home or garden.
Jasmine Scent from the Plants Improve Sleep
This house plant for anxiety is often found outdoors but it can also thrive inside. Jasmine is a shrub that brings sweet sensations to your mental health while also improving your sleep. As many anxiety sufferers know, sleep is our nemesis. So, put this plant in your bedroom and youll finally be able to fall asleep without over thinking absolutely everything. As a result, youll wake up more alert!
Aloe Vera Plant for Natural Healing and Anxiety Relief
English Ivy Reduces Mold by 94%
Simple Ways To Relieve Stress And Anxiety
We include products we think are useful for our readers. If you buy through links on this page, we may earn a small commission. Heres our process.
Stress and anxiety are common experiences for most people. In fact, 70% of adults in the United States say they feel stress or anxiety daily.
Here are 16 simple ways to relieve stress and anxiety.
Exercise is one of the most important things you can do to combat stress.
It might seem contradictory, but putting physical stress on your body through exercise can relieve mental stress.
The benefits are strongest when you exercise regularly. People who exercise regularly are less likely to experience anxiety than those who dont exercise .
There are a few reasons behind this:
- Stress hormones: Exercise lowers your bodys stress hormones such as cortisol in the long run. It also helps release endorphins, which are chemicals that improve your mood and act as natural painkillers.
- Sleep: Exercise can also improve your sleep quality, which can be negatively affected by stress and anxiety.
- Confidence: When you exercise regularly, you may feel more competent and confident in your body, which in turn promotes mental wellbeing.
- Try to find an exercise routine or activity you enjoy, such as walking, dancing, rock climbing or yoga.
Activities such as walking or jogging that involve repetitive movements of large muscle groups can be particularly stress relieving.
Recommended Reading: How Does Stress Contribute To Heart Disease
Other Types Of Relaxation Techniques
Many de-stressing therapies have common goals. They aim to help you pay attention to your body and focus on aspects of your breathing or other exercises that will lower your blood pressure and increase feelings of well-being. You can try:
- Biofeedback, which measures body functions and helps you learn to control them.
- Self-hypnosis, in which a practitioner teaches you to relax when you hear a phrase or get a nonspoken cue.
- Massage therapy, which can include Swedish, sports, Shiatsu, or other types of massage.
- Music therapy, when a therapist uses music to accomplish health goals.
- Art therapy, which uses art to enhance your physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
- Aromatherapy, or using essential oils as a type of treatment.
- Hydrotherapy, which can include soaking, compresses, or even steam baths.
While relaxation practices are mostly safe for heathy people, there have been reports of negative impacts, such as increased stress, bad thoughts, or a fear of losing control. Talk to your doctor about what practice might be best for you, depending on the relaxation technique you want to try and your health.
How To Use Stress Medicine
It’s important to remember that you should never take any anxiety drugs alone, and you should try to avoid them if possible.
Medications are not evil – certainly not as evil as many people will tell you. But mental health medications have downsides. It’s more than just side effects. Medications can actually harm your ability to cope with stress in the future, because of:
- Physiological Dependence That’s when the body requires the medicine because it’s adapted to the effects. Your brain starts to depend on it, to the point where your natural stress coping ability gets even worse. If you stop taking the medication, you’ll suffer from intense side effects. You have to wean off it slowly, and you have to take it every day even if you’re not feeling anxious that day.
- Psychological Dependence Perhaps more troubling is psychological dependence. This is when you depend so much on the medicine that you don’t do anything else to cure your anxiety. When you stop taking the medication and experience some stress, you’re going to want to go immediately back to medication, and this type of behavior can make it much harder to cope with anxiety.
It’s important to keep that in mind. You need to make sure that you’re only choosing a medicine as a last resort because of these risks, and even if you do choose a stress medicine and feel better, make sure that you’re still learning proper coping strategies so that your anxiety doesn’t come back when you stop taking the medicine.
You May Like: What Are Symptoms Of Post Traumatic Stress